Friday, May 28, 2010

My uncle was diagnosed with colon cancer and will begin chemo next week. his hands and feet are white, why


My uncle was diagnosed with colon cancer and will begin chemo next week. his hands and feet are white, why?
he has had surgery to remove the tumor about three weeks ago and sadly enough it has spread to his liver and apparently the cancer is very aggressive and is at a stage 4 which I know is extremely scary. He just now noticed his hands and feet starting to look white as if his blood count was extremely low. Just wanted to know what that meant. Thank you!
Cancer - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Your Oncologist is the best person to ask this question. I hope you would have tested his blood for Hemoglobin counts.The reason for paling (whiting) of hand and feet may be due to this and his anemic condition. Your doctor may infuse some blood to cope up the situation. Please consult. Also check up if Rectal bleeding is taking place. It may happen with out our knowledge due to this the blood counts may come down. Please check up and ask your doctor to suggest some Iron medication.-
2 :
First off I want to send my best wishes to you and your family. My family has a hereditary disease that leads to colon/stomach cancer and I myself was diagnosed at 17 years old (week before my 18th bday) for it. The whitening of his skin is due to anemia. It's trauma to your body when you undergo surgery and it takes time for the red blood cells to reproduce afterwards. Once they start giving him fluids and possible blood transfusion it'll allow his blood count to increase and the coloring will then disappear. My prayers are w/ you and your family. I'm sorry to hear this.






Read more discussions :