Friday, October 16, 2009

Risk of colon cancer at 29 yrs old


Risk of colon cancer at 29 yrs old?
My dad was digonised with stage4 colon cancer. He's going to be starting chemo in a few weeks. Some family members have been telling me that Im going to need get tested which I figured so it was no shock. Does anyone know what the chances of myself getting it would be? I dont have any signs. Everything I read said to get tested at 50yrs old. Should I run out to the doc and get tested right away?? Thanks!
Cancer - 12 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
We can't tell you that, Get tested, The test will tell. Don't worry though. Best of luck!
2 :
I would in the next couple of months. If you do the quicker the doctors catch it the better your chances are. good luck to you I'll pray for your father
3 :
No, you should have your first test at 29-31, then a second test @ 5-7 years later....a family history does make you more suceptible, so waiting until 50 is not recommended....but it will cost you.....not usually covered until 45-50 with family history.....it runs about 750.00 here. You might also see if your doctor will label it as though you are having medical issues (such as rectal bleeding)....this can cut down your expenses greatly, b/c insurance co's. will see this as a necessary procedure in that case. good luck! <<mom died of colon cancer at 50.
4 :
You should bring it up to your doctor and let him know you have a family history of colon cancer because it does raise your risk of getting it. You are still a little too young for colon cancer but it isn't unheard of at your age. Cancer does happen at any age. Wish you and your family well.
5 :
Might not be a bad idea to pop down and see Dr. Jellyfinger. I believe colon cancer can be hereditary. Good luck to you,and your dad.
6 :
No. Its probably really not necessary for you. Barium Enema is the method they would use, and its not fun, if anything its painful. You can probably prevent colon cancer by eating fibre, bran, oats, plums or plum butter, apples, etc...everyday, and don't eat red-meat EVERYDAY. Also eat yogurt occasionally to support good bacteria, don't let toxic stuff stay in your system for long. Eat less meat, you don't have to eat meat every day to survive. Sorry to hear about your dad. I wish the best of results at conquering his problem outright! Many years to come! Get books on foods that prevent cancer, and balance your foods accordingly.
7 :
Listen to me.... you will need to be tested at age 40 unless you have symptoms earlier..... that's what the oncologist (cancer Dr) told my sisters and me when our father was diagnosed.....he died.... anyway go to the Dr's visits with him help around his house,reminisce with him,just down right be there. You'll regret it if you aren't. GIVE HIM YOUR TIME. That's all he'll want from you anyway. I have never regretted being with my father every step of the way through the whole 4 year ordeal..It was a long hard road with many ups and downs. The chemo may make him sick. It will make him weak and he may loose his hair. Contact the American Cancer Society for More info and the can also help find newer treatments and Dr's. I hope I helped...
8 :
There's no lasting harm in getting checked out. You'd rather catch anything before it becomes a problem. Be proactive, thats what i think and get it checked out.
9 :
A colonoscopy is a simple procedure that can be done to ensure everything is clear and ease your mind. In Ontario, Canada, the government is encouraging people to get tested and they are covering the cost to have the procedure done. You're probably fine if you don't have any of the symptoms, but always better to be safe than sorry. It's done as an outpatient procedure and you're in and out in about 3 hours.
10 :
When he starts chemo, go with him. Talk to the oncologist. I am considerably older than 29, but my father had a history of colon cancer. My wife had colon cancer, and we once met her surgeon in an informal session.(Cancer open house at the hospital)) She mentioned to her surgeon, my father had colon cancer, and her surgeon was all over me to get a colonoscope. I relented, and had one. 7 polyps.All precancerous. You must be a mind reader. today I get a post card from the same surgeon. Time to call for an appt. As long as he finds polyps, it means " see you next year"" -------------------------------- By the way, a Barium enema will show any growths or polyps, but if any are found, the dr still has to use the scope to go in and get them. So, why not just have a scope and be done with it? This surgeon specializes in cancer, and he is doing my scopes as a favor to my wife.I could use a Gastroenetrologist, but this dr does over 500 a year, so he's not new at it.
11 :
get tested, better to be safe than sorry. if you have a family history it can affect you at any age. i'm 20 and i have it.
12 :
see a doctor and ask for their recommendation. if you don't have a genetic test at least try to get a screening. my dad got it at 48. i got it at 31. it can run in families. it does in mine. the earlier you catch it the better.






 Read more discussions :